1. How many suspense films were released in 2009? How many films were released altogether last year?
A total of 503 films were released last year in 2009 and out of all of them, 31 of them were suspenses films.
2. Action, animation and comedy account for 52% of Box Office in the UK in 2009. Why do you think these genres are so popular?
Because all of the genres have a bigger appeal, especially to a young audience. You could also watch this with the whole family. E.g. Toy Story will appeal to a large amount of young audiences and adults also dont mind it.
3. Why do you think Thrillers account for quite a low proportion of UK Box Office takings (4% in 2009)?
Because it has a low range of audience and viewers compared to other genres. Firstly, the certificate ages tend to be high; making children and certain teenagers being unable to watch the movie. Parents of young age would most likely not take there kids to watch certain thrillers too. Also the gender of who watches thrillers may vary, I believe more males watch thrillers than females. So this may lower the proportion e.g. a boy wouldn't take a girl to a thriller as she may not be interested to the movie.
4. Looking at the 'genre by gender' diagram above, what information can be derived about Thriller audiences and gender?
By looking at the diagram, I would say a proportion of thriller audiences will be male as they are into action and crime; whilst females are into romance and period dramas which are calm - the opposite of thrilling.
5. Look at the age certificate for 10 of the films featured on the teaching blog. What does this tell you about Thriller audiences?
By looking at the certificates, I can identify that people of young age are less likely to watch thrillers. As there parents may also not allow them. So thriller audiences will certainly appeal to people of older age.